Professional cleanings performed by a certified dentist or hygienist are just as important to your dental health as daily brushing and flossing.
Using specialized tools and training, your hygienist or dentist will:
- Remove plaque build-up from the surfaces of teeth. (Bacteria in the mouth form plaque, which collects on teeth and causes decay, gum disease, and gingivitis.)
- Remove tartar from teeth surfaces. (Tartar, or calculus, is plaque that has become so hardened on the teeth that its removal requires special procedures. Tartar below the gum line is also an indicator of gum disease.)
- Remove surface stains from teeth through polishing.
Regular examinations help detect and prevent health issues before they become serious. Consistent dental check-ups help catch problems when they are small and easier to treat. Left unattended, small treatable problems become worse and may require more extensive, expensive procedures to repair.
Dental examinations include the following:
- Gum disease screening
- Oral cancer screening
- Visual tooth decay evaluation
- Visual gum disease examination
- Gum pocket measurement and tracking
- X-ray examination to detect: tooth decay, cysts, tumors, problems below the gums and other hidden issues
X-rays are a primary tool for early identification of dental problems. Detecting issues with X-rays before they become problems can save you money in the long run by preventing the need for more extensive, expensive procedures or surgeries.
X-rays are primarily used to detect:
- Internal tooth decay
- Cysts (fluid filled sacks at the base of your teeth)
- Tumors, both cancerous and non-cancerous
- Impacted teeth
- Teeth that are still coming in
At Mount Vista Family Dental our dental team uses digital x-rays which have several advantages over traditional film based x-rays. They emit up to 90% less radiation, are ready for examination nearly instantly, can be viewed by the patient and dentist on a computer screen, and they are greener; no chemicals are needed for processing.
Preventive Dentistry is the best way to preserve your teeth. If you live in the Vancouver, Salmon Creek or Mount Vista areas, contact us to make an appointment today: (360) 558-3950